Tuesday 8 March 2011

2011 mantra: Ctrl+Alt+Del

Hello,

The command in the title kinda sums up the start of 2011 in the life and times of Nicole Fermie. It's been an emotional couple of months - as the first few months of every new year usually are. But it's good to hit the restart button every now again. And we really have reset in many ways.

A few weeks ago we split up with our management company. I say 'split up' because it really did feel like a relationship split in many ways. Fermie got emotional - but most things make me emotional. Comes with the genes. Every emotion is lived out to the full. Nothing English about me that way at all. But someone's gotta keep Kleenex in business - and I sure did my bit that day. Everything in music is an emotional rollercoaster. Musicians - thousands of them out there running around with their hearts bleeding all over their sleeves. It's amazing people pay any money at all to see or hear us do our thing.

But we were moving in a different direction to our management company. Lets just leave it at that. After all, I'm out of Kleenexes and I dont think eye fluid and computer keyboards are a happy couple.

The reset button has also been pressed on the issue of using my name 'Nicole Fermie'. Over the last year and a half since Scott joined the band I've started to feel a little silly introducing myself as 'Nicole Fermie' when really - we're a band. It's not a solo thing anymore. The boys are part of the music, the vibe, the songwriting - everything! So saying 'Hi, we're Nicole Fermie' - was just silly. Also. Ever tried telling someone the name of your band in a loud club? Especially when that someone is also three JD and cokes ahead of you? Well - Nicole Fermie just doesn't get remembered that easily unless you stuff a gig poster in someone's pocket or force yourself into their hands using a pen and skin.

So. We've decided to go for a name change. First two letters of Nicole and the first two letters of Fermie spell.....NIFE!

Awesome. Four Letters. Pow.

So within the next few months we're gonna go global with this one. And you're going to be the only lucky sods who know what the hell's going on. Nice one for reading this blog.

So without management we've taken on a bit more control (Ctrl), changed a few things, like our name (Alt) and gotten rid of Nicole Fermie (Del) as a band name.

The record is great. I need to step away from it sometimes to enjoy it. I still have those days when I hear it and want to cry because I think it sounds shit, and other times when I have it on loop with a silly grin across my Indian face.

The live set and the record are practically one and the same - just as I like it. Everything is real and reproducible within our tight 3-piece outfit. Perfect time to release a record like this in the time of Tinie Tempah, Burke and JLS (who rip off the 'Sound of Music'- shameless! What would Julie say???). Or are we simply too loud and organic for these times? We're a guitar band. Surely those will never die?

Gulp!

We're playing all the new material on home soil on 26th March at Moles. Come down and witness the official name change. The band are practically getting married on the 26th. It's not me anymore. It's a band. And I'm thrilled to bits.

Much love and kleenexes.

I'm gonna tuck into some pancakes and listen to the Zombies and some Gainsbourg. Sun's out. Bring it!


Yours,

NIFE x

3 comments:

  1. Good times! Keep the faith sister and hopefully now its just you guys we can finally arrange those gigs together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, NIFE, that'll take some getting used to, hehe. Can't wait for the record though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. NIFE is good - when I first saw yo play live it was the Nicole Fermie Trio, if I am not mistaken. I think that being a band is a good move - a shared identity that the would-be supporter is likely to remember; hopefully even after a few JD + cokes!
    Congrats on your infant blog - I started mine thinking I would never get past a handful of posts --- it felt so strange to write, potentially at least, to anyone who was silly enough prepared to read. It would now seem strange not to do so. All the best and I hope to see NIFE live very soon...

    ReplyDelete